Movie Script: Not your type


Story: Not your type

By: Blessing Mhlanga

Date: 27/04/2019

Plot: Joe is a nerd, very intelligent but not physically attractive. He’s a college student who is in love with Ruth, his classmate who happens to be the most beautiful, attractive and wanted girl on campus. He’s been praying for courage to approach her but his shyness defeats him. Finally, in their second year of study, he gains the courage to tell her; he meets her on the corridor next to the campus tuckshop.


Joe puts on his best smile and politely greets her. She proudly responds.

Joe:
Ruth, there’s something you have to know. It’s a message from my heart.

Ruth:
Message from your heart? Sounds deep, I’m listening.

Clears his throat three times. Takes a deep breath. Looks deep into her eyes.

Joe:
Ruth, I’m in love with you. I would love to be more than a friend to you, if you feel the same.

She laughs out loud. Blushes for a moment. He is embarrassed.

Ruth:
Okay, wow! This is, a surprise! Didn’t expect it.

Joe:
I can give you time to think about it.

Ruth:
No, it’s not necessary. Look, I love you too but, you’re not my type.

His jaw drops as he pulls a long face.

Joe:
What do you mean by that?

Ruth:
I don’t date ugly, poor and filthy guys with no style. Sorry.

His eyes become watery. Shame paints his face.

Joe:
What? But what has that got to do with true love? I thought it was a matter of the heart.

Ruth:
Well, my heart has spoken. I’m not your type. You’re not in my league; I can’t even imagine you kissing me with your breast-like lips - I can vomit. 

Joe’s face glues the floor, slowly turns his back and walks away from the scene. 

Seven years later, Joe is a wealthy businessman who is now married to Rose. Ruth dropped out of college after she got pregnant, she went back to college but she failed.

Joe is in his office chatting to a client over the phone. His PA knocks and enters.
Joe drops the call.

PA:
Sir, there’s someone who wants to see you urgently.

Joe:
Did they make an appointment?

PA:
No. She said her name is Ruth and she desperately need to see you. It’s a matter of life and death.

Joe:
Ruth? The name rings a bell. Let her in please.

PA leaves. Moments later, Ruth comes in. She looks old and sickly. She is as thin as a needle and black blemishes have darkened her face.

Joe is shocked.

Joe:
Ruth? What a surprise? Is it really you?

Ruth:
Yes, it’s me. Please help me, I need a job. I can do anything. My boyfriend impregnated me and fled. My daughter and I are deadly sick, we don’t have money for medication. Please help me.

Joe:
I don’t understand. Where’s your family, your friends?

Ruth:
They’ve all rejected me and condemned me, I have nowhere else to go.

Joe:
Do you have any qualification?

Ruth:
No. I only have a matric. Have you forgotten that I failed my tertiary studies after I got pregnant?

Joe:
I remember. Unfortunately, this business is not your type. We don’t hire anyone with a matric here, this is not a Spaza shop but a corporate enterprise. I’m sorry.

Ruth weeps her heart out and sobs for mercy.




Joe:
And I think you were right when you said I was not your type at the college, if I was your type I wasn’t going to be here today. You may excuse me now, I have a call to make. 

Ruth falls down on her knees begging for mercy but Joe calls security and forcefully evicts her out.

****************************Script sample************************************

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mafia tells his tales

Mugabe writes his obituary

Opinion piece: Ancestral worship is a fallacy