A farewell to a grandfather of righteousness

A farewell to a grandfather of righteousness.

Speech sample for a funeral.

Greetings to the house.
I stand here a proud man. I stand before you with sincere and pure prominence, not because l am gladdened by the tragic Passing of my beloved grandfather but for the privilege l have'd to learn, live and grow in the hands of this man, my grandfather, a man of integrity.

I can't avoid the emotional appals of losing my grandfather but the love which he planted in my heart, the smiles he blessed me with, the lessons he awarded me and the rod of correction he imposed on me, is a treasure that ignites my heart even now and enables me to smile instead of weeping as he departs from this fleshly world.

My grandfather had become my step father, though I still have my own father. While staying with us at home, l recall his unbreakable marriage with his Bible which he always clung to his chest every day and everywhere.
If he was not reading it, he was hugging it, l soon realised that he wasn't in love with the Bible only but also with the God of the Bible.

I say this because daily, l saw the Bible manifesting itself practically through my grandfather's love, conduct, behaviour, faith and goodness. Yes, he wasn't an angel but he had the image of his God in his heart.
Ladies and gentlemen, l am proud to say that it is the same God who has called my grandfather to glory, a place of rest.

Time had come. My grandfather always expressed his unending desire to be with the Lord, though it petrified me, l now have come to understand that death is our journey. How we die is not the matter but where we'll go after death should be our concern; my grandfather was a man of wisdom, again his bible was the source of that wisdom.

He has left a legacy that can never be bought with a penny in my life and in this generation. One which I long to carry on with the God of his bible. I am inspired by this man, a 90 year old man, who has left the land of the living after such great impact to the world. Heaven is rejoicing to have him and because of that, we also must hold on to his messages of love and impact of his achievements.

I'm not going to speak about his million-dollar companies which he built from scratch at the age of 20, not because they aren't important but because he had asked not to. He said that on his funeral, l should speak about the fruits of righteousness which overflowed through his character from the Bible because material possessions and wealth don't matter on the day of death, he said. I'm pleased to have honoured his last wish.

Be at peace. My grandfather is dining with the angels and dancing with saints such as Abraham. We can weep that he's gone but we should thank the heavens for lending him to us for such a time as this.

I thank you.

By Blessing Mhlanga.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A mafia tells his tales

Mugabe writes his obituary

Opinion piece: Ancestral worship is a fallacy