Mugabe writes his obituary


How Robert Mugabe wants to be remembered




I was a liberator. Maybe a tyrant too.



By Blessing Mhlanga.     10 -09 - 2019.



Well, where should I start? If in the beginning God created heaven and earth, then in the beginning is where I’ll start. In the beginning I, Robert Mugabe became pregnant of a vision: to liberate my fellow black Zimbabweans from the perpetual catastrophes of slavery, inequality, poverty, racial segregation and the heavy heap of unjust leadership in the hands of Ian Smith and company.



It is for this vision that I created countless movements and campaigns against the atrocious regime that had enslaved my people during the 1960s and 70s. It is for this vision that I endured a decade of imprisonment for trying to overthrow this vicious government. Maybe, it is for this vision that I stayed in power for almost four decades.



For clarity purposes, I didn’t hate white people but I only despised their use of power against my people, through their regime, giving them no opportunity to taste milk and honey. They also caged my people in a dark and dangerous dungeon which possessed no trace of grace.

18 April, 1980, we finally did it. The vision was fulfilled but not completely. Lancester House bears witness to that historic agreement, which would mark a new Rhodesia, characterized by equal fortunes between blacks and whites, especially concerning the land. I mean how can the authentic owners of land be a subject of mockery and slavery in the hands of the white minority, who were mere tenants in the land? This made no constructive sense to me, hence the birth of my vision.



But allow me to say this, I was no angel myself and neither was I invincible. By introducing land seizures from the white minority which were part of the land reform programme, I was trying to look out for the interest of every black Zimbabweans: returning their rightful wealth into their possession.



Although this turned our economy into a sinking ship, at least I had done my part - eliminating the enemy from our yard (the white regime) and given my people keys to their everlasting prosperity.

You can call me a dictator or a predator, I cared less but guess what? I cared for my people.



Another giant came on board: Gukurahundi. This bloody turmoil saw my name and reputation being dragged into the mud of a genuine murderer and ruthless assassin but this absolute nonsense was hailed mostly by those who didn’t understand that I was only but trying to eliminate the cobra in the house - Joshua Nkomo. This cobra had become a threat not only to my office but also to our newly founded democratic Zimbabwe.



I’m sorry for the bloodshed. I’m sorry for the torturous campaigns because these have impoverished our nation and rewarded myself and Zimbabwe with disastrous sanctions from Tony Blair and Company, United Nations and USA.

Nevertheless, I’m too educated to expect or make everyone understand my purpose for all this - looking out for the interest of every black Zimbabwean.



I’m not going to reverse my well-known principle: we are not gays, neither are we lesbians. I’m not apologetic about that. My longest reign in power was influenced by my desire to protect Zimbabwe from being colonized by the selfish, racist and enslaving white men, who clearly, didn’t care about my people.



I’m sorry for the high rate of unemployment especially among the intelligent youth and graduates, I’m sorry for the useless currency, I’m sorry that Morgan Tsvangirai didn’t become the president, I’m sorry that Zanu PF was the only preeminent party, I’m sorry that the farms we forcefully seized turned to be unproductive and eventually, crippled our economic status. But I’m not sorry for killing the giant of white regime who oppressed my Zimbabwe.



Whether you like it or not, I’m the man who God - the creator anointed to lead you (Zimbabweans) to the promise land - a new democratic Zimbabwe, free of the chains of Ian Smith and company. The white men is still welcomed in Zimbabwe, provided he will submit to the new democratic order of the Zimbabweans, which seeks to elevate them to their rightful position of possessing their rightful land and wealth.



Some of you, out of ignorance, still hate me even now that I’m dead - absolutely nonsense. I regret nothing. My policies may have not brought the fruits of the promise land but I pride myself in that l have seen my vision come to pass, though not completely.



Africa is for Africans. Zimbabwe is for Zimbabweans. You can keep your wells of milk and honey, your palaces of gold and silver but my wealthy Zimbabwe and its potential-full citizens - don’t touch. Hands off. Should you disobey this assertion, you will be lucky to live as long as I did.



I was a liberator but maybe a tyrant too. Make your choice between the two. Either way, I’m still the founding father of Zimbabwe’s independence.



Yours truly:



Robert Mugabe.


….……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A mafia tells his tales

Opinion piece: Ancestral worship is a fallacy